Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wow.

So I'm so awful and keeping up on this whole blog thing that it feels like so much has happened in a short amount of time, so in this one I'll play catch up:

I recently had the opportunity to collaborate with my friend and costume designer, Leah D'Andrea in Nashville, TN. Shooting fashion and design work is something that I've really wanted to start focusing on with my photography. Last year when Chase Jarvis had Zack Arias on CJLive just before Zack's CreativeLIVE class, they were talking about how to get photo jobs. They said that no one is going to just hand you a job, you have to go out and get it for yourself. I had been following Leah's work for the better part of 10 years, and one day, I decided to take the extra step and drop Leah a message... "Hey, drop me a line when you get a chance." That one line message turned into a conversation where I told her that I'd been following her work and that I wanted to shoot some designs for her. That conversation turned into a meeting in Denver over Christmas, and that conversation went from making a few images to completely refreshing her portfolio. So at the beginning of this month, April 2011 for you time travelers, I flew out to Nashville and shot her designs and met some awesome people that went from strangers to friends in a few hours. It was probably the most fun I'd had in a single weekend in my life!

Pause for a quick breath....

It was a weekend full of "firsts" for me. First National gig (versus local), Longest shooting day ever (probably 15 hours of working that Saturday), First time at a Burlesque show (We managed to have some fun down time), First time at a Gay Bar (Wasn't on my to-do list, but it was quite a bit of fun). Talk about smashing a lot into one weekend... I felt like I could have slept for a week when I got home!

I'll be able to post some shots from the weekend when I've delivered the final portfolio (yes, I'm designing the book too) to the Client. That's only fair, right? I'll probably be able to use something that we shot just for fun though... Like this...




Anyway, I've got tons to do.

Salve Omnes!

No comments:

Post a Comment